Columbus Ohio Temple

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Words taken to heart...


Hey Guys!
So I know it's only been like 5 days since I've last written but alas I'm sure you all are wondering how those 5 days were! So to be honest I can't really remember specific events that all went on but I'll just start writing and we'll see what comes to mind eh? So mom I might have you talk to Mike about tithing or first I'll just show him what you said in this little email you wrote. But He's getting closer. He's trying to bring "normality" to my life haha I appreciate it but sometimes he pushes the line. It's not a big deal at all haha He makes us all laugh. I'm glad I get to stay another transfer but then again I'm not. It's exhausting here but I just gotta keep pushing strong. He keeps trying to make "deals" with me like 5% tithing and he'll get dunked. He keeps going for May 18th.. I'll have to start using that to my advantage haha but I want him to get a testimony first. He probably already has one but just needs to exercise faith. We just had Stake Conference yesterday and it was broadcasted. It was really good. I wish Mike could have been there. But President Uchtdorf said a little thing about tithing. That it's not about the money. But it's about faith. He also said something else that I liked. He mentioned the importance of setting goals. Temporal goals and more importantly spiritual goals. The lord will always take care of us not only spiritually but temporally. Also Elder Gay spoke and mentioned 3 things we need to ask ourselves... I can't remember them. They're on my wall on a post-it note.. I'll have to write it down later... Sorry :P Yesterday we had a lesson with Tiffiene. It went well. She's still caught between her BF and God.. It's like one of those relationships where they know it's not healthy to stay with each other but they just can't leave. Like how Lauren kept going back to her D-Bag of a BF in STG. Just not bad like that. but she's doing good. Sister Rosenvall also gave her the "Chastity" talk after we left which is nice cause I personally don't want to teach a girl that. Other than that. Not a whole lot is different. Pebbles' Birthday was on the 4th which was pretty fun. We tried to make it a good day for him. The Spanish Elders bought him a green kid plastic gun and grenade (he wants to go into the military) it's pretty funny. He still acts like a little 12 year old sometimes. It'll be interesting to see him in the military. Not where I'd see him going but whatever works for him! We also to him to lunch at Steak-n-Shake (delicious burger chain out here) and Mike came and later that night we went to Mike's house and it was pretty good! I've been talking to Calvin. He's doing good. His mind seems to change a lot when things don't work. It'd be easier for him if he looked for god's help and maybe also read his patriarchal blessing sometime soon. I'll keep working with him. I talk normally with him but sneak in things dealing with God and the Church and all that. And my mission also. So hopefully in the long run that helps him out! But yeah! other than that there isn't a ton going on! Sorry I don't have more to write about but yeah I guess it was one of those bland weeks. Oh so on Friday when we did weekly planning for some reason I felt to put one baptism and confirmation for this week.... Ha we have no one on date or anyone planning on it.. Looks like we're exercising our faith and hopefully a miracle works out!! I have no clue what's gonna happen haha but I felt that I should put that down! We'll see what happens! Oh and Mom could you send out stamps? I could use some if you don't mind. And I just remembered it's Mother's Day this Sunday!! So when I get things all figured out I'll let you know when to expect a call!! It's already been 5 months since the last time I've called. It's crazy. Welp! That's it for now! I don't have any pics either this week! Sorry!! K love you all!
Love,
Elder Derrek Bowler
PS. That's lame Alec's call hasn't even been sent out yet! You'll have to keep me posted on that!

K so I came back to finish what I forgot yesterday. But I just wanted to write those three things I was talking about! Aight so it's 3 questions to ask ourselves about our conversion and where we are with things. And remember this is me summarizing and sharing what I got out of it and isn't word for word what Elder Gay said. 

1: Am I looking at things as they really are? Satan is able to deceive us and mimic God and the things that can be believed as "spiritual" but God will and has promised that he'll make the truth and what is from him manifested to us and God and Satan both have temples where we learn. They both want us in they're temples. Look for what is from God and what is from Satan.

2: Am I prepared to learn the lessons of Gethsemane? Christ did the will of the father for each of us and followed the commandments that the father gave him. Are we willing to do the father's will in our lives? Do we seek his guidance and help and direction? Is doing whatever God would have us do our top priority? We need to attain a "mighty change of heart" we do this by following the promptings of the spirit and seeking that guidance. It reminds me of the talk given by Elder Christofferson (sp?) Where God knows what he wants us to be. And he is the gardener and we should seeks his help.

3: Am I prepared to lose my life to save it? He gave an example of when he was called as a mission president and one of his old co-workers called him up and told him of a business deal that was incredible. He was in Africa on a terrible road and just after wondering why he was there the car rolled 3 times and everyone in the car was fine but him. He almost lost his arm and he goes on to say that the doctor that was helping him saw his badge and recognized the church and all the tools that that doctor had where because of two senior missionaries a few years earlier who helped him out which because of that his life was saved and arm spared. Now for me personally I've always loved helping people out and did it without thinking. And when everyone in the freaking mission would repeat this over and over again while I was struggling with what I was it messed with my head because I could not understand it. It made no sense and it still doesn't. It's like one of those paradox's. But I know I feel better when I selflessly look for others I can help. I still like helping people and I think it's easier for me to look at Christ's example instead of trying to logically figure out that equation. But as we look and more importantly pray for ways we can help others, they will come. And by naturally being selfless and loving to others we may affect people years down the road we will probably never ever meet till we're dead.

Granted I know I still have a lot of work to but I just wanted to share that with everyone cause I know it can help someone else out there. Mike and I were talking to each other via text last night till the early early morning about some things and I won't mention what they were but I think I finally know what I can do to help him. Oh and P.S. for all those future missionaries out there. Don't rush through the lessons to try and "mark" it off the list. That's what E. Peterson did and it doesn't help anyone receive the spiritual witness and confirmation that they need. It just turns into Bible Study. Which is okay but it just won't bring the meat and why we're truly there. So yeah Mike knows the stuff better than I'm sure most members do. But the knowledge that the things he goes through in his life and has gone through can all be taken care of through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, isn't fully there. Whether he thinks so or not. But there is great peace from our savior. And through Faith, Repentance, Baptism (or afterwards the Sacrament), Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, a Enduring to the End. That joy and peace can be in our lives no matter what trial we go through. And that's my testimony. Hope this helps! Love you guys!
Elder Derrek Bowler.


No comments:

Post a Comment